Trusted LASIK Surgeons
Dr. Lance Kugler MD
Dr. Lance Kugler serves as Director of Refractive Surgery for the University of Nebraska Medical Center, where he is in charge of resident education and research programs to advance the field of refractive surgery.
Dr. Kuglar is an international consultant for corneal topography scans
Dr. Lance Kugler, M.D., LASIK surgery, cataract surgery, PRK, all-laser or bladeless LASIK, & wavefront based laser vision correction surgery, refractive surgery such as intraocular lens implant surgery (IOLs), corneal transplants, limbal relaxing incisions & conductive keratoplasty (CK), corneal procedures. Dr. Kugler also has expertise in case review & testimony.
Appointments and Information
Toll-free: (800) 831-3937
Call today for your free LASIK consultation with a true LASIK Laser Refractive eye expert who is a trusted eye surgeon and vision correction specialist. Dr. Kugler's excellent professional credentials are provided below
To contact Dr. Kugler's office directly, please click here.
To email Dr. Kugler directly, please click here.
LASIK Omaha Laser Vision Correction
13923 Gold Circle
Omaha, NE 68144
Serving patients seeking LASIK and other cataract and refractive surgery procedures from Lincoln, Omaha and throughout Nebraska as well as from Grand Island Council Bluffs and other cities in Iowa
Credentials and Qualifications
Dr. Lance Kugler has extensive qualifications that Trusted LASIK Surgeons estimates place him among the top LASIK laser eye surgery, refractive surgeons and cataract surgery specialists in the United States.
For your convenience, these credentials and criteria have been grouped
by Experience, Premier Patient Care and Credentials. In addition,
Dr. Kugler has included some additional career highlights that while
not used by Trusted LASIK Surgeons in our screening process, clearly demonstrate his/her highly distinguished career as a true pioneer in advancing vision correction surgery throughout the world.
Dr. Lance Kugler’s qualifications and credentials as a top LASIK surgeon and cataract surgery specialist include:
- Over 6 years experience in laser vision surgery, including LASIK and PRK
- Dr. Kugler is one of the few eye surgeons in the United States to have completed a true LASIK surgery fellowship, which he did under Ming Wang MD, PhD at the Wang Vision Institute/University of Tennessee in Nashville
- Dr. Kugler is one of the few LASIK specialists in the world to have received his training from a laser physicist.
- Dr. Kugler is one of the few eye surgeons in the world with a degree in computer science
- Over 8 years experience in refractive surgery, including laser vision, lens implants (IOLs), corneal and other vision correction procedures
- Over 8 years experience in cataract surgery (including cataract surgery with lens implants)
- Performed thousands of LASIK and laser vision procedures
- Performed thousands of lens implant (IOL) procedures
- Performed thousands of cataract surgery procedures
- Study coordinator and sub-investigator for a major FDA clinical study for manufacturers of lasers and other devices, products, and/or medications related to vision and general eyecare (ReFocus Group)
- Refractive and Cataract Surgery Expert Witness: Available to provide expert witness services including case review and expert testimony for cases involving the following refractive and cataract eye surgery procedures:
- LASIK, PRK laser eye surgery, cataract surgery, intraocular lens (IOL) implant procedures, including toric lenses, monofocal lenses, and multifocal lenses
Premier Patient Care
- “All-Laser” LASIK (bladeless) using the IntraLase laser
- Wavefront Based (“Custom”) LASIK and PRK laser eye surgery using the Wavelight/Allegretto(Alcon) 400hz laser
Offers complete refractive surgery care
- LASIK and PRK laser eye surgery
- Intraocular lens implant surgery (IOLs) including Refractive Lensectomy (RLE) or Clear Lensectomy (CLE) using monofocal lenses, multifocal
lenses, and accommodating lenses, as well as phakic implants
and toric implants
- Other vision correction surgery: Conductive Keratoplasty (CK), Limbal Relaxing Incisions, IntraLase guided Astigmatic Keratotomy, Intacs corneal implants, Phakic IOLs
- Cataract Eye Surgery (including cataract surgery with lens implants)
- Corneal Transplants
- Management of complications of surgery for new patients who had problems and complications from LASIK surgery or another vision correction operation or cataract surgery performed by another eye doctor
- Other eye surgeons, optometrists, opticians, employees of companies that specialize in vision correction surgery devices or products, or their family members have had their LASIK or another vision correction procedure or cataract surgery performed by Dr. Kugler.
- Faculty Appointments: (University and/or Teaching Hospital)
- Hospital Staff Appointments:
- Professional Society and Organizations - Membership and Affiliations
- Certified by American Board of Ophthalmology
- Consulting Positions (for companies that develop lasers and other ophthalmic products)
- Editorial Activities:
- The Optical Society, Reviewer, 2010-present
- Advances in Optics & Photonics
- Applied Optics
- Biomedical Optics Express
- Journal of the Optical Society of America
- Optics Express
- Optics Letters
- Virtual Journal for Biomedical Optics
- Pearls in Ophthalmology, Senior Editor, Cataract/Anterior Segment, 2008-present
- Numerous peer-reviewed scientific journal articles published
- Several text book chapters and/or books published
- Numerous lectures on research topics at major eye meetings
Additional Career Highlights
- Charitable and Volunteer Activities
- Professional Honors and Awards
- Best Paper of Session, ASCRS, Boston, MA, 2010
- Howard Dinsdale Award for Outstanding Resident Presentation, Gifford-Truhlsen Research Day, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE, 2005
- For Dr. Kugler’s substantial academic honors and achievements, please see below
Education and Training
- Fellowship: LASIK, Cornea and Refractive Surgery, Wang Vision Institute/University of Tennessee, Nashville, Tennessee, (August 2009 - July 2010),
- Residency in Ophthalmology: University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, Nebraska, (2002 –2005)
- Internship: PGY-1, Internal Medicine , University of Nebraska Medical Center Omaha, Nebraska, (2001 –2002),
- Medical School: Doctor of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio, (1997 – 2001),
- Class Representative, Alumni Board of Trustees, (1997 – lifetime)
- Class Representative, Committee of Student Representatives, (1999
- Crile Summer Research Fellowship, (1998)
- Irwin Lepow Student Research Day, (1999)
B.A., Computer Science, DePauw
University Greencastle, Indiana, (1993
Magna Cum Laude
Phi Beta Kappa, (1997)
- Dean’s List all semesters
- The Outstanding Senior in Computer Science, (1997)
- Mortar Board (1996 – 1997)
- Phi Eta Sigma (Academic Honor Society), (1997)
- Beta Theta Pi Fraternity (President)
Dr. Lance Kruger
Medical Director, Ophthalmologist, Specializing in Laser Vision Correction
An Omaha native, Dr. Kugler earned his undergraduate degree from DePauw University in Greencastle, Indiana, where he graduated magna cum laude with a degree in Computer Science. He then went on to earn his MD from Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine in Cleveland, Ohio. He returned to Omaha for residency training in ophthalmology at the University of Nebraska Medical Center. Following residency training, Dr. Kugler entered private practice.
After practicing ophthalmology in the Omaha area for four years, Dr. Kugler saw that Nebraska was in need of a surgeon with advanced training in state-of-the-art LASIK and cataract surgery. Building on his background in computer science, Dr. Kugler and his family moved to Nashville, Tennessee where he completed a prestigious fellowship in Cornea and Refractive Surgery under the guidance of Ming Wang, MD, PhD, a world renowned ophthalmologist with a PhD in laser physics. Dr. Kugler performed over 1300 refractive surgical procedures during his fellowship, by far the most of any fellow in the country, and became an expert in managing complicated LASIK cases and helping patients who had suffered from LASIK complications elsewhere. Following his year of specialty training, Dr. Kugler returned to join Dr. Schlichtemeier and bring the latest state-of-the-art LASIK and cataract surgery technology to Nebraska. Dr. Kugler also serves as Director of Refractive Surgery for the University of Nebraska Medical Center, where he is in charge of resident education and research programs to advance the field of refractive surgery.
Dr. Kugler has authored several peer reviewed journal articles and textbook chapters, presented at national meetings, and served as the study coordinator for an FDA clinical trial for a new procedure to reduce patients' need for reading glasses. He is an international consultant for corneal topography scans, which are computer generated maps of the surface of the eye, and also serves as a peer reviewer for several scientific journals.
Dr. Kugler is active at the national level through his involvement in the American Academy of Ophthalmology. He is a member of the YO (Young Ophthalmologist) YO-info subcommittee and is a graduate of the prestigious AAO Leadership Development Program. Dr. Kugler is board certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology.
Dr. Kugler lives with his wife Traci and their five children.
Please call (402) 558-2211 or visit Lasik Omaha today for your free LASIK consultation with a trusted expert LASIK eye surgeon and vision care specialist who is also a cataract surgeon with proven expertise.
You now have accurate information and a direct contact to an exceptional surgeon. Dr. Kugler and his exceptional staff are looking forward to meeting with you. Your questions and concerns are welcome.
Thank you for visiting us at Trusted LASIK Surgeons.