Dr. Michael Gilbert, M.D.
Trusted LASIK Surgeons
Dr. Michael Gilbert, M.D.
Dr. Michael Gilbert is the Medical and Surgical Director of Laser and Anterior Segment Surgery, Northwest Vision Institute
Dr. Michael Gilbert, M.D, hospital staff appointment: Overlake Medical Center, Bellevue WA, member of Surgery Joint Practice and Operating Room Committees
Dr. Michael Gilbert, M.D., LASIK Laser Eye Surgery, Cataract Surgery, PRK, corneal transplant, intraocular lens (IOL) implant procedures, including monofocal lenses, multifocal lenses and accommodating lens, Limbal Relaxing Incisions. Dr. Gilbert is also a expert witness and case reveiw expert.
Appointments and Information
Dr. Gilbert and his excellent staff at Northwest Vision Institute serve patients seeking LASIK and other vision correction procedures as well as cataract surgery from Seattle, Bellevue, Kirkland, Redmond, Issaquah, Renton, Tacoma, and Everett in Washington and Vancouver in Canada.
Northwest Vision Institute
Bellevue / Seattle Office
12301 NE 10th Place, Ste 200
Bellevue, WA 98005
11800 NE 128th Street, Ste 110
Kirkland, WA 98034
Online: Contact Dr. Gilbert at Northwest Vision Institute
Call today and please mention Trusted LASIK Surgeons for your free consultation with a true LASIK expert who is also a trusted eye surgeon, vision care specialist and cataract surgeon. Dr. Gilbert’s exceptional qualifications are listed below.
To view what former patients of Dr. Gilbert have to say, please visit:
Dr. Gilbert’s patient testimonials
Credentials and Qualifications
Dr. Michael Gilbert has extensive qualifications that Trusted LASIK Surgeons estimates place him among the top LASIK, vision correction and cataract surgeons in the United States.
For your convenience, these credentials and criteria have been grouped by Experience, Patient Care and Credentials. In addition, Dr. Gilbert has included some additional career highlights that while not used by Trusted LASIK Surgeons in our screening process, clearly supplement his highly distinguished career. Dr. Gilbert’s qualifications and credentials as one of the top LASIK and cataract surgeons include:
- First Excimer Laser surgeon in Washington State
- Over 20 years experience in laser vision surgery, including LASIK and PRK
- Over 20 years experience in refractive surgery, including laser vision, IOLs, RK and other vision correction procedures
- Over 24 years experience in cataract surgery (including cataract surgery with advanced-technology lens implants)
- Performed over 2,000 LASIK and PRK laser vision procedures
- Performed over 10,000 cataract surgery procedures
- Performed over 10,000 lens implant (IOL) procedures (usually in connection with cataract surgery, but also refractive lens exchange (RLE)
- Investigator for 2 FDA clinical studies for manufacturers of lasers and other devices, products, and/or medications related to vision and general eyecare
- Refractive and Cataract Surgery Expert Witness: Over 10 years experience providing expert witness services on behalf of defendants, including case review and expert testimony for cases involving the following refractive and cataract eye surgery procedures
- LASIK, PRK laser eye surgery, corneal transplants, cataract surgery,intraocular lens (IOL) implant procedures, including monofocal lenses, multifocal lenses and accommodating.
Premier Patient Care
- “All-Laser” LASIK (bladeless) using the IntraLase laser
- Wavefront Based (“Custom”) LASIK and PRK laser eye surgery
- Use of iLASIK Procedure- WaveScan Technology, IntraLase, and Visx Advanced CustomVue treatments
- Offers complete refractive surgery care
LASIK and PRK laser eye surgery
- Intraocular lens implant surgery (IOLs) including Refractive Lensectomy (RLE) or Clear Lensectomy (CLE) using monofocal lenses, multifocal lenses, and accommodating lenses, as well as phakic implants and toric implants
- Corneal Transplants
- Other vision correction surgery: Conductive Keratoplasty (CK), and Limbal Relaxing Incisions
- Cataract Eye Surgery (including cataract surgery with lens implants)
- Management of complications of surgery for new patients who had problems from a LASIK or another vision correction procedure or cataract surgery performed by another doctor
- Other eye surgeons, optometrists, opticians, surgical nurses, employees of companies that specialize in vision correction surgery devices or products, or their family members have had their LASIK or another vision correction procedure or cataract surgery performed by Dr. Gilbert.
- Professional Private Practice Experience
- Current: Medical and Surgical Director of Laser and Anterior Segment Surgery, Northwest Vision Institute, PLLC, Bellevue, Washington (Current)
- Past: Surgical Director, regional cornea consultation, Anchorage, Alaska
- Hospital Staff Appointments:
Hospital Staff Appointments
- Professional Society and Organizations- Membership and Affiliations
- American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO)
- Senior Achievement Award
- Honor Award
- Clinical Correspondent to Media, 2007 – Present.
- Representative to Physicians Advisory Council, NCQA, National Committee for Quality Assurance, 1996 - 2007
- Chairman, Ophthalmic Coding Specialist OCS Examination Task Force, 2004-2007
- Member, Practice Management Committee. 1996 - 2000.
- Member, Ophthalmic Computerized Medical Record Taskforce. 1994-1995
- Member, Managed Care Committee, 1993 - 1996.
- International Society of Refractive Surgery (ISRS)
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ASCRS)
American Association for Research in Vision.
- Washington Academy of Eye Physicians and Surgeons,
- President, Washington Academy of Eye Physicians & Surgeons, 2005 – 2006
- Recognition Award Washington Academy of Eye Physicians & Surgeons 2002
- Recognition Award Washington Academy of Eye Physicians & Surgeons 2005
- Board of Trustees, 1993 - Present.
- Chairman, Health Care Liaison Committee, Washington Academy of Eye Physicians and Surgeons, 1991 – Present
- Member, Washington State Medical Association - Medicare - CMS Liaison Committee, 1994 - present
- Washington State Medical Association
- Representative, Medicare Liaison, Washington State Medical Association Interspecialty Council, 2001 – Present
- Chairman, Washington State Medical Association - Medicare - CMS Liaison Committee, 1998 – 2001
- Member, Washington State Medical Association - Medicare - CMS Liaison Committee, 1994 – 1998.
King County Medical Society
- Baylor Ophthalmology Alumni Association
Tulane Ophthalmology Alumni Association
Johns Hopkins Ophthalmology, Wilmer Institute, Alumni Association
- Certified by American Board of Ophthalmology
- Consulting Positions
- Member, Medical Advisory Board, Pacificare of Washington, 2000 - 2005
- Representative, Medicare Carrier Advisory Committee Washington, 1995 – 200
- Medical Director, Eye Care Washington, State of Washington Ophthalmic Provider Network, 1996 - 2005.
- Chairman of the Board, Eye Care Washington, State of Washington Ophthalmic Provider Network, 1994 - present.
- Chairman & Director of Medical Education, Eyecare Technology Exposition, 1993 - 1997
- Certification(s) to Train other LASIK and refractive eye surgeon
- Instructor, American Academy of Ophthalmology, Astigmatic Keratotomy Courses 1987-2005
- Editorial Boards: Dr. Gilbert has served in an editorial capacity for the following journals:
- Contributing Editor: Ophthalmology Management (1989 - 2002).
- Medical Editor: Eyecare Technology (1993 - 1997)
- Contributing Editor: Computers in Eye Care (1991 - 1993)
- Over 25 peer-reviewed scientific journal articles published
- 2 text book chapters
- Gilbert ML. Corneal Topography, Present and Future. (Chapter in Textbook) In: Elander R, Rich L, and Robin J, editors – Textbook of Refractive Surgery. W.B. Saunders Company, 211-34, 1997 2.
- Gilbert ML, Metzer J: Technologies in the ophthalmology practice. (Chapter in Textbook) In: Stein, Harold editor - Ophthalmic Assistant: A Text for Allied and Associated Ophthalmic Personnel, Mosby. 2006
- Over 28 courses related to laser vision and other refractive and cataract surgery procedures
- Over 55 lectures on research topics at major eye meetings
Additional Career Highlights
- Honored as one of Seattle Magazine Best Docs- 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
- Angie’s List Super Service Award, 2011 and 2012
- Honored Alumnus Tulane Ophthalmology, (invited lectureship), 2005
- Best Seattle Doctors,Seattle Magazine, 2004, 2007
- National Merit Scholarship Commended Scholar, 1973
- Award of Excellence in Research; Tulane Eye Alumni Association, 1987
- Award of Excellence in Research; Tulane Eye Alumni Association, 1988
- Distinguished Research in Basic Science Award; Tulane Eye Alumni, 1989
- Undergraduate: Bachelor of Science (B.S.) University
of Washington, Seattle, Washington, Honors Curriculum
- Post Graduate Studies: Non-matriculated coursework and research in Reproductive Endocrinology through the University of Washington Hospital, Medical School and Primate Centers, Seattle
- Medical School: Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, M.D.
- Schiff Scholarship Award while attending Baylor College of Medicine
- Internship: Internal Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas
- Harris County Public Hospital (Ben Taub),
- Jefferson Davis Public Hospital,
- Houston V.A. Medical Center,
V.A. Medical Center,
- Residency: Tulane Medical Center and affiliated hospitals, New Orleans, Louisiana
- Outstanding Resident Award, Touro Medical Center, Tulane University
- Doktor der Medizin (Dr. med), Magna Cum Laude distinction, Faculty of Medicine.
- Baylor College of Medicine, Cullen Eye Institute Microbiology and Immunology Laboratory, Houston, Texas; National Eye Institute Grant T32-EY07001-11
Dr. Michael L. Gilbert is a nationally recognized, board certified leader in the ophthalmic community. He is a trustee of the Washington Academy of Eye Physicians and Surgeons, as well as a leader on medical, ophthalmic and quality improvement committees at both state and national level. He is committed to advancing vision technology and patient education to unique levels.
A noted instructor of refractive surgical techniques, Dr. Gilbert has represented our specialty on numerous occasions to the American Academy of Ophthalmology, Medicare - CMS, the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) and the International Society of Refractive Surgeons and Eye care Technology. He has performed thousands of laser-eye surgeries over the past decade for LASIK and PRK, as well as cataracts, corneal transplants and other advanced refractive surgical care.
Call (425) 450-2020 or visit Northwest Vision Institute today for your complimentary consultation with a trusted expert LASIK eye surgeon and vision care specialist.
You now have accurate information and a direct contact to an exceptional surgeon. Dr. Michael Gilbert his exceptional staff look forward to meeting with you. You questions and concerns are welcome.
To find a refractive specialist who has qualified to be listed at Trusted LASIK surgeons in another area, please visit:
Find a Trusted LASIK Eye Surgeon