Dr. Shachar Tauber, M.D.
Trusted LASIK Surgeons™
Dr. Shachar Tauber, M.D.
Dr. Tauber is Director of Ophthalmology Research, Cornea and Refractive Surgery at Mercy Clinic, Eye Specialists
Dr. Shachar Tauber, M.D., LASIK surgery, cataract surgery, PRK, RK, all-laser wavefront based vision correction surgery, refractive surgery such as intraocular lens implant surgery (IOLs), corneal transplants, limbal relaxing incisions, cornea/external disease. Dr. Tauber also provides expert case review & testimony.
What's New with Dr. Tauber
Dr. Tauber recently participated in the Focus on Independence program, which seeks to provide free LASIK surgery to paralyzed patients. Click below for full news story and video:
Free Eye Surgery Helps Paralyzed Victims
Appointments and Information
Mercy Clinic Eye Specialists
1229 E. Seminole, Suite 420
Springfield, MO 65804
Call today for your free LASIK consultation with a true LASIK & Cataract expert who is a trusted eye surgeon and vision care specialist. Dr. Tauber's exceptional qualifications are listed below.
Meet Dr. Tauber
Dr. Tauber Video Introduction
Special discount* on LASIK and other elective surgery procedures offered by Dr. Tauber to members of U.S. military, local police and fire departments and certain family members. For more info please contact the surgeon’s office directly and mention Trusted LASIK Surgeons.
Credentials and Qualifications
Dr. Shachar Tauber has extensive qualifications that we estimate place him among the top 1% of LASIK and refractive surgeons in the United States.
For your convenience, these credentials and criteria have been grouped by Experience, Patient Care and Credentials. In addition, Dr. Tauber has included some additional career highlights that while not used by Trusted LASIK Surgeons in our screening process, clearly supplement his highly distinguished career.
Dr. Tauber ’s qualifications and credentials as one of the top LASIK surgeons include:
Dr. Tauber and his fellow eye surgeons at Mercy Clinic, Eye Specialists are the first surgeons to offer laser-assisted cataract surgery in Southwest Missouri.
- Over 15 years experience in laser vision surgery, including LASIK
- Over 15 years experience in refractive surgery (laser vision, lens implants and RK)
- Over 20 years experience in cataract surgery (including cataract surgery with lens implants)
- Performed over 10,000 LASIK and laser vision procedures
- Performed over 2,000 lens implant (IOL) procedures
- Performed over 4,000 cataract surgery procedures
- Performed over 5,000 corneal surgeries, including transplants, DSEKS, artificial corneas, amino grafting, and Intacs Ring segments for keratoconous.
- Principal Investigator for 10 FDA Studies for laser manufacturers and makers of other ophthalmic devices as well as a co-investigator for 3 FDA studies.
- Refractive and Cataract Surgery Expert Witness: Over 15 years of experience in providing expert witness services on behalf of plaintiffs and defendants, including review and expert testimony for cases involving the refractive and cataract eye surgery procedures:
- Available to provide expert testimony and case review for: LASIK, PRK laser eye surgery, corneal transplants, cataract surgery, intraocular lens (IOL) implant procedures, including phakic lenses, monofocal lenses, multifocal lenses, and accommodating lenses
Premier Patient Care
- Use of Femto LDV Femotsecond Surgical Laser system for “All-Laser” or “Bladeless” LASIK (zLASIK)
- Use of Custom Wavefront Guided LASIK and PRK
- Offers complete refractive surgery care
- Management of complications of surgery for new patients who had problems and complications from LASIK surgery or another vision correction operation performed by another eye doctor
- Other eye surgeons, optometrists, opticians, employees of companies that specialize in vision correction surgery devices or products, or their family members have had their LASIK or another vision
correction surgery performed by Dr. Tauber
- Current Faculty Appointments: Adjunct Faculty, Center for Applied Science Engineering, Missouri State University, Missouri State University, Springfield, MO
- Past Faculty Appointments: Assistant Professor - Yale University Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science
- Director of Cornea and Refractive Surgery, Yale University School of Medicine
- Education Policy and Curriculum Committee: Teaching Faculty Leader – Assessment of Clinical Curriculum
- Current Hospital Staff Appointments
- Past Hospital Staff Appointments
- Professional Society and Organizations (Membership and Affiliations)
- Certified by American Board of Ophthalmology
- Consulting Positions
- Editorial Boards:
- Cataract and Refractive Surgery Today
- Video Journal of Ophthalmology
- Cataract and Refractive Surgery Today
- Over 13 peer-reviewed scientific journal articles published
- Over 2 text book chapters and/or books published
- Over 20 lectures on research topics at major eye meetings in the United States and Internationally
Additional Career Highlights
- Lasik Awards from Summit Autonomous (Laser Manufacturer)
- 1000 Plus
- Course Director Award
- Excellence in LASIK 5 Years
Unite for Sight: Medical Director of Advisory Board
- Inventions and/or patents
- Contact Lens Drug Delivery System using nanofibers
- EYES Box-Corneal tissue transplant and transportation box
- Named to “Best Doctor” lists on local, regional, national levels
417 Magazine's Top Doctors - Ophthalmologist in Springfield (2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010 Hall of Fame)
- Surgeon for Focus On Independence a non-profit organization providing vision correction to paraplegics
Lasik Donations: Ozark Catholic Charities, Breast Cancer Foundation of the Ozarks, “Lost & Found”, Temple Isreal.
- Named in 2010 to the PS250 list by ophthalmology journal, Premier Surgeon as one of the top 250 leading innovators in the field of premium IOL implant surgery for refractive surgeons who they consider to be early adopters of premium lens implant technologies.These surgeons active in educating peers about premium IOLs, have conducting significant research to optimize patient clinical outcomes, as well diagnostic technology in order to assist in selecting the best patients, and the best lens for such patients
- Undergraduate: A.B., Biology, Washington University, St. Louis, MO
- Kappa Sigma Leadership and Scholarship Award
- George Kassenbaum memorial Award
- Outstanding Service to Washington University
- Kappa Sigma Man of the Year
- Medical School : M.D., Tulane School of Medicine, New Orleans, LA
- Edmundson Scholarship
- James H. Allen Award Excellence in Ophthalmology
- Internship: Wilson Hospital - United Hospital Service, Johnson City, NY
- Residency: Department of Ophthalmology, Tulane University School of Medicine
- Fellowship Training
- Emergency Ophthalmology and Eye Trauma, Ophthalmic Associates, Anchorage, AK
- Advanced Keratorefractive Surgery, St. George Corrective Vision Center, Chicago, IL
- Refractive Surgery - Enrique Suarez, M.D., Centro De Medico de la Trinidad
- Cornea and External Diseases – Observational Fellowship, Dimitri Azar, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary
- DSAEK (Descemets Stripping Automated Endothelial Keratoplasty), Dr. Mark Terry at Devers Eye Institute
- DSEK (Descemets Stripping Endothelial Keratoplasty), Dr. Frank Price
View Springfield LASIK Surgeon Shachar Tauber Curriculum Vitae
Springfield LASIK surgeon Shachar Tauber, M.D., a board-certified ophthalmologist, is recognized as one of the leading cornea and refractive surgeons in the nation. He has performed more than 8,000 refractive procedures with excellent results. Before coming to Mercy, Dr. Tauber served as the medical director for the Yale-New Haven Eye Laser
Center, an Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology and Visual Science at Yale University and Director of Cornea, External Diseases, Contact Lens and Refractive Ssurgery at Yale University School of Medicine.
Dr. Tauber received his undergraduate degree from Washington University in St. Louis in 1983 and his medical degree from Tulane School of Medicine in New Orleans, La., where he completed his residency in ophthalmology.
Dr. Tauber has completed fellowships in emergency ophthalmology in Anchorage, Alaska; advanced keratorefractive surgery at St. George Corrective Vision Center in Chicago; and refractive surgery with Enrique Suarez, M.D., in Caracas, Venezuela. He was an observational fellow in cornea and external disease at Harvard University's Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary and has taught refractive surgery in seven countries, in seven languages.
Dr. Tauber is the director of ophthalmology research at Mercy Hospital and serves on the board of Unite for Sight, a nonprofit global humanitarian organization.
Director of Ophthalmology Research, Shachar Tauber, M.D. was recently invited to be the visiting professor for the Ophthalmology Grand Rounds at Uniformed Services University - George Washington University in Bethesda Maryland. The topic of his lecture was "Refractive Surgery: Improving Patient Satisfaction." Following his presentation, ophthalmology residents and fellows from both the armed forces and George Washington University presented actual patient cases and requested assistance in managing their care. Dr. Tauber was invited by Dr. Scott Bower, Director of Ophthalmology Research at Walter Reed U.S. Army Medical Center. Together, Drs. Bower and Tauber have been involved with on-going research in refractive surgery and corneal injury repair. Dr. Tauber has also trained staff members at Walter Reed U.S. Army Medical Center on lasers for LASIK and PRK, which are used at Mercy Hospital and have been recently added to the Walter Reed refractive department.
Call (417) 820-9328 today for your free LASIK consultation with a trusted expert LASIK eye surgeon and vision care specialist. You now have accurate information and a direct contact to an exceptional surgeon. Dr. Tauber is looking forward to meeting with you. You questions and concerns are welcome. Thank you for visiting us at Trusted LASIK Surgeons™.